Monday, April 20, 2009

PAD Challenge Day #19

Still playing some catch-up. Here is the poem for yesterday's prompt to write an angry poem:

I Was Angry

I was angry.
Twenty-two years old?
A skateboarding accident?
A bump to the head?
How ridiculous!
How stupid!
How could this be?
No one dies of skateboarding…
do they?

I was angry with myself.
Two thousand miles and a
brand new baby kept me here.
I should have been there.
I should have been by the side
of his mom and girlfriend.
What is more heartbreaking
for a mom than having to
make that final decision?
I should have been there.

I was angry with the car
and the weather.
I just barely made it to
the memorial service.
I sat by the side of the road,
in the rain and snow alone
with the baby for three hours
till help arrived to take me
the rest of the way there.
I had to drive the long way
home to avoid the
closed and snowy roads.

I was angry with my dad.
When I tried to share some
recent photos with him he
openly showed his disgust
for the photos of the tattoos.
How dare he?
These fiery flames shooting
from cuts in the wrists –
permanent reminders of a
recent heartfelt life change
had lost all their permanence
and become nothing more than
ashes in the small bottle
I carried home with me.

I was angry.
I was so angry.
I was angry with God.

No comments: